Sunday 4 March 2012

First midterm rehearsal

SO! 
Because midterm is a BIG ass thing, I'm gonna dedicate an entire post for my first rehearsal with Lih Seng. As you know, I normally just put my rehearsal and class performance into one post because I am a lazy bum. However, today... I shall not be a lazy bum! So, read and re-read. Hahahahah. 


We rehearsed together on Friday. We met up and talked for a bit before we got to work. By the time we managed to find an empty lecture theater, it was about 9. We got into action and began thinking about what we were supposed to do. We had already come up with the idea of being parents and having kids and all but the script still wasn't down and confirmed yet. So, we made it happen. We orally made up a script first with the stuff that we thought would go well. We were really just having fun at first. Jogging ideas and sentences back and forth. Some of the things we said to each other was so funny, I think we ended up laughing more than we talked. After a few more ideas and stuff, we began to see this beautifully outlined script that felt good to act with. It also gelled nicely together and we felt comfortable with it. We made sure that all the needs were met. The character change, the fourth wall usage, the callback, the focus and etc. We even put in a little Cantonese into the script. 


I'll be completely honest here, working with Lih Seng was a breeze. I think it's because we think the same way and in the same wavelengths so it's easier for us to work with each other. Plus, our choice of humor is also similar. THANK YOU MR. REY FOR PUTTING ME WITH LIH SENG EVEN IF IT WAS COMPLETELY RANDOM.


I doubt I'd have that much fun working with anybody else in the class. Oh wait... there is one more person. CELINE!!!!! I'd like being put with her too. Anybody else... I'm not so sure. I'd really like to do a play with Celine and Lih Seng. We'd be the craziest people around. 


So, anyway... back to the story. By the end of the rehearsal, the script was finalized and we even had some time to practice the whole thing together twice!!! How's that for being productive. We practically did everything in a day in 1 hour and 20 minutes! We kept saying "We got this shit!". HAHAHA. 
 Now, the only thing left, is more practice and further perfection. : ))) 


I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE IT, MR. REY. 


So, here's the script. The object exercise and beats will come later when I write about the performance itself. 


Scene starts.

John  : *Says to himself* Bundle of joy my ass.

He flops on to the chair.
Jane calls after putting on her lipstick.

John : Hello? *He sounds tired*
Jane : Hi hun! So, how are you? *She sounds happy*
John : I am so tired. I swear to God, this baby is -

She checks her nails and doesn’t really listen.

Jane : That’s great! So, how’s Joey?

John gives his phone a dirty look

John : Joey is fine. I’ve just put him to sleep.

Jane already has her mascara out and she’s busy with her eye lashes.  While holding her mascara brush in one hand, she says –

Jane : That’s great sweetie! See… I knew you could handle it.
John : Yeah. So… ladies night, huh?
He still has his back slouched against the chair.

Jane : Yeah. Remember Lisa?
John : Yeah?
Jane : She got a boob job.

John sits up and becomes interested.

John : Oh?
Jane : It’s uneven.

John is disappointed with the news and flops back to the chair.


John : Oh…

Jane : Yeah. *Pause* And then, Carrie is apparently getting married next month but her fiancé says that-

While Jane is busy babbling about nonsense that John couldn’t care less about, he hears Joey’s cries and immediately jumps into action.

John : Honey! I got to go.

He hangs up on Jane abruptly.

Jane : J-John? JOHN!

She realizes he has just hung up on her.
Jane is furious. She hates it when John hangs up on her.

Jane : Bloody hell!! Why does he always to that to me??

She calls back and waits impatiently for him to pick up the phone.
He takes a long time to pick up. She taps her fingers on the sink.
He finally comes into the room again but with baby puke all over him and he’s frantic.

John : HONEY!
Jane : What did I tell you about hanging up on me?????
John : Joey just puked on me!!! I think he ate something wrong.

Jane takes a while to absorb the statement.

Jane : What???
John : *SIGH* Just get your ass home NOW! Joey is crying and he won’t stop! 
Jane : OH No… This is the first time I’ve been out in 9 months John! And you can’t even give me this?? I thought you said you could handle Joey!

John can smell the puke on his shirt and is dying to get out of it.

John : NO… YOU said that.
Jane : OOOHHHH… Sure… Blame everything on me now! *I say this in Cantonese*
John : Just come home!!! PLEAAASEE!!!

John tries to end the fight in vain.

Jane : URGH… FINE… I’ll be back in 30 minutes!
John : GOOD!
John and Jane exclaim at the same time : BYE!

John leaves the room while taking off his shirt. Jane leaves the toilet by packing up her makeup and mumbling 

Jane : 9 months… 9 months!!

John leaves to change his shirt and tend to Joey. Jane leaves for home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment