Saturday 17 March 2012

Divorce

FOREWARNING. 
This post is gonna be about 2 things. The performance on Wednesday and my rehearsal with Adam and Muhammad. On a more informal note, I cannot believe what a blabber mouth I am. I really do treat my journal like my diary. I'm such a good story teller. XDD Oh look, I'm bitching again. Kay... I'm gonna stop and get on with the post. 

REHEARSAL.

Rehearsing with Adam and Muhammad wasn't hard neither was it easy. The first day of rehearsal was Monday, the same day the assignment was given. I thought it was necessary for us to practice early because DUH... the performance is on WED! We started at about 2. I think? Bout' 2 to 4 and managed to get a rough idea of what we were gonna act as and when to come in for which setting. I will admit that it was all very messy  at first and a little awkward. Ideas thrown in left, right, center but I still think we worked everything out quite well despite having to rush. We focused on the restaurant scene first. I think the ideas we had and the dialogue that was given to us really went well together and it was fairly easy to make up a scene from it. I was supposed to be this desperate girl who wanted Adam's hand in marriage and going "Please" in a very desperate tone. Adam is supposed to be the guy who doesn't really care about getting married and so, he ignores me. Later, he says "Alright" meaning he accepted my offer to get married. I get happier but he still sort of ignores me to talk to Muhammad, the annoying waiter and I end the scene by going "Great". We thought it worked but then after a few more runs, we realized that it didn't. My character was very vague. You wouldn't have understood the skit's objective if you saw it at it's first stages. Muhammad's character needed more definition and yeah... it just wasn't right and we knew it. After the second day of practice, we changed it around and thought of my character being the wife and Adam being the husband. I will ask him to sign our divorce papers by going "please" in a very strong, silent-but-deadly tone. He doesn't want the divorce, so he goes "I can't". Then... as the play goes along, we have Muhammad, the perky waiter who just wants to get our order but I reject him. Adam rejects me too. Heck, we all reject each other. I can't possibly put down all the changes we've made to the scene because if I were to, this post is gonna go up to 2000 words and we can't have that. So, I think you get the point. 

The other scene we had to do was the "toilet" scene. Now, this scene... Muhammad, Adam and I had problems. I think the reason why it was so problematic is because we had too many things going on but I didn't get that until afterwards. Anyway... Muhammad was supposed to be the bad character, he's the one who was supposed to ask Adam if he wanted a cigarette but Adam refuses and goes "I can't". I'm the prefect who comes in and tries to catch Muhammad and Adam. Adam didn't take he cigarette, so he begs for me to let him go and I do. So, that leaves Muhammad but then he goes "What's that" and points at a cockroach and he runs for it. I end the scene by going "Okay. Great." See what I mean by too many things going on? Later, we changed it to Adam being the bad boy and Muhammad as the good boy just because Adam occupies more space. Hahahahah! That somehow didn't work either. The scene was just not working  but we didn't figure out why because of time constraints. I was very worried. The first wasn't that great either but it felt right! The second, for me, was just off. 

Other than the stuff I've just said, rehearsing with Adam and Muhammad was okay... there were TONNES of changes we made that are impossible to put down now but all in all, I still think we did a pretty good job together. 

PERFORMANCE.

On Wednesday. I came in my little purple dress. I say it's little cuz it was damn short but then again, I do like wearing tiny things so, I'm not complaining. : ) Anyway... I went up to class and watched Celine and Teck Sern practice. I commented about their stuff but I was actually quite nervous about my work too. Adam, Muhammad and I practiced, alright. We sure did. But... the second scene was making me pace up and down the experimental theater. Plus, Adam and Muhammad were supposed to be there earlier so that we could have early rehearsals. They were late. -________- It wasn't their fault though. 

Anyway... when they came, we practiced for awhile but it still felt a little weird. Like there was something wrong somewhere. Half way through our second scene, Mr. Rey steps in and I'm like... "SHIT. NOOO!". 
So, we stopped and like... sat down while he spoke about Wednesday's performance and what he expected from us... bla bla bla. You know... the sort. Then... we had to stand up and just read the script to each other. No tone... nothing. Just plain reading. Then, we had to read with tone.... followed by reading the thing with tone but with action. MAN, IT WAS VIOLENT. Because I was supposed to be mad at Adam and all. I kept pushing him and he pushed back. My god. Every time he pushed me, my arm felt like it was gonna detach itself from my shoulder. Then, when I push him back, he doesn't move much. URGH. TO HELL WITH BUFF GUYS!!!!! Muhammad and I were like taking beating from Adam. I actually said "Kay. Adam, I know you're buff but seriously, you're gonna break my arm." He laughed. I think the physical violence helped cuz it added changes to our skit. Better changes. And we figured out what was missing in our thing by having Mr. Rey help us and guide us one by one. Honestly... I felt Muhammad could have done so much better. I don't know if there's something stopping him or if there's something missing but I didn't feel as though he cared. It's like he was just there for the sake of it and not really participating and he didn't flow with Adam and I. He stood out like a sore thumb and not in a good way. I don't know... it's just my opinion and some others. My performance with Adam. OMG... SO MUCH better. I found out why our characters were weak at first. It's cause... I think... we didn't solidified our roles and the objective was blurred. Anyway... we did good and I'm proud of us. 

So... This is the beat sheet. 

I am in the restaurant and already sitting at a table. I am solemn and quiet. I read the divorce papers again. The waiter, Muhammad comes in and flops the menu on the table really loudly. I'm not in a good mood and so I glare at him. He shy's away.  I put the divorce papers down and I wait for my husband to come. When he finally does, Muhammad shows him in. He sees me. He hesitates but he comes to kiss me on the cheek anyway. I am revolted by his actions. I turn around and push him away with my arm. He is hurt by my actions. He pulls up the chair in front of me and sits down. I take my time to calm down. My facial expression doesn't change. As he opens the menu, I place the papers on the menu. 
Me : Please (My tone is stern and harsh)
Adam : (He reads it and shakes his head) I can't.
Me : Just try. (I sarcastically answer him and pass the papers back to him).
Adam : I don't know. (He passes the divorce papers back to me)
Me :  Please. (My tone is extremely angry and I dig my clutch for a pen) 
Muhd : (He barges in his perky tone and asks for the order) Can you?
Me : Don't even (I'm still rummaging for my pen so I don't look at him. 
Muhd : But 
Me : (I slam my clutch on the table and raise my voice) NO!
Muhd goes away.
Adam : (looks at me like I'm crazy) You're mad! (He calls for the waiter again)
Muhd comes over. 
Adam : Alright. 
Muhd : Ready. 
Me : You know. (I tap on the divorce papers like I'm about to say something very important.) 
Adam : (Ignores me and points at the menu) What's that? 
Muhd : (Points to where Adam is pointing at) Here?
Adam : Okay. 
Me : Great. (I lean back and fold my arms since they're not listening to me)

That ending part could have been better because we just called "curtain". The better ending would be to storm away from the restaurant since Adam doesn't want to listen to me. Otherwise, we had an objective. The roles were pretty solid... cept for Muhammad's... so I've been told and we all had our individual objectives. 

So... yeah... I'd say... it was a pretty good performance. : ))) 

No comments:

Post a Comment