Sunday 11 March 2012




THE BIG DAY!!!! *EPIC MUSIC*


So, Wednesday was THE day. The day for midterms and I was feeling good. My character is supposed to be IN a pub so, I put on my super short floral printed dress (It was actually a very long singlet. Haha.) It was bloody short and I wore a cardigan over my dress. I got praises from my grandmom who said it was a very nice combo. I had to literally run out of the house before my mom could come down to see me because she despises it when I wear short skirts that make me look slutty. To be honest, actually felt very sexy in the little thing I was wearing. : )) Just saying. 


Anyway... when I finally got to college, I went straight up and practiced in the experimental theater. I went through my lines, over and over again with Lih Seng and we thought to ourselves, we are as ready as we could be. Practicing in the morning with everyone having their nerves shot... was pretty good actually. There was this constant air of nervs and anxiety. I think most of it came from me. Hahahah. So, okay... I'll admit, I was nervous but who isn't right??? The day I don't feel my nervs is the day I die. Lih Seng and I practiced our voice projection and our lines together and just hoped for the best. 


This is the part where I bring the beats in! 


BEATS
There are two stages. From the audience’s point of view, the left stage will be occupied by Lih Seng (John) and the right stage will be occupied by Leanne (Jane).
John and Jane are newly-weds and they have a baby named Joey. John is at home taking care of Joey  while Jane is out having her ‘ladies night’. John has JUST managed put Joey to sleep and is exhausted after having to tend to the baby 24 hour 7. Jane, on the other hand, is having the time of her life with her girlfriends. Jane calls John to ask about Joey. She doesn't really care about how John is feeling or how tired he is. She expects everything to be well at home because she really wants to stay out and party with her friends. John, however, doesn't seem to be able to handle things with Joey. After Joey cries, he immediately begs for his wife to come home. She doesn't want to but in the end, she does. 
The scene starts for John and Jane walking into the space at the same time. John comes into the bedroom and flops onto a chair out of sheer exhaustion. Jane comes into the toilet and does her make up. Jane takes her cellphone from her bag and calls John to see how Joey is doing.
Scene starts.
John  : *Says to himself* Bundle of joy my ass.
He flops on to the chair.
Jane calls after putting on her lipstick.
John : Hello? *He sounds tired*
Jane : Hi hun! So, how are you? *She sounds happy*
John : I am so tired. I swear to God, this baby is -
She checks her nails and doesn’t really listen.
Jane : That’s great! So, how’s Joey?
John gives his phone a dirty look.
John : Joey is fine. I’ve just put him to sleep.
Jane already has her mascara out and she’s busy with her eye lashes.  While holding her mascara brush in one hand, she says –
Jane : That’s great sweetie! See… I knew you could handle it.
John : Yeah. So… ladies night, huh?  
He still has his back slouched against the chair.
Jane : Yeah. Remember Lisa?
John : Yeah?
Jane : She got a boob job.
John sits up and becomes interested.
John : Oh?
Jane : It’s uneven.
John is disappointed with the news and flops back to the chair.
John : Oh…
Jane : Yeah. *Pause* And then, Carrie came in with this beautiful red dress and it reminded me so much of the present you gave me on Valentine's Day.
She tries her best to seduce him 
John : Huh? Oh... Riiiiight.
He sounds interested.
Jane : Yeah... So, I was thinking... maybe I could go back and slip it on. I'm sure you'd like that wo-
While she says this, she traces her fingers on the sink and John hears the Joey cry. 
John : Honey! I got to go.
He hangs up on Jane abruptly.
Jane : J-John? JOHN!
She realizes he has just hung up on her.
Jane is furious. She hates it when John hangs up on her while she's trying to be seductive.
Jane : Bloody hell!! Why does he always to that to me??
She calls back and waits impatiently for him to pick up the phone.
He takes a long time to pick up. She taps her fingers on the sink.
He finally comes into the room again but with baby puke all over him and he’s frantic.
John : HONEY!
Jane : What did I tell you about hanging up on me?????
John : Joey just puked on me!!!!
Jane takes a while to absorb the statement.
Jane : What???
John : *SIGH* Just get your ass home NOW! Joey is crying and he won’t stop! 
Jane : OH No… This is the first time I’ve been out in 9 months John! And you can’t even give me this?? I thought you said you could handle Joey!
John can smell the puke on his shirt and is dying to get out of it.
John : NO… YOU said that.
Jane : OOOHHHH… Sure… Blame everything on me now! This is the thanks I get for giving you a son!
John : Just come home!!! PLEAAASEE!!!
John tries to end the fight in vain.
Jane : URGH… FINE… I’ll be back in 30 minutes!
John : GOOD!
John and Jane exclaim at the same time : BYE!
John leaves the room while taking off his shirt. Jane leaves the toilet by packing up her makeup and mumbling
Jane : 9 months… 9 months!!

John leaves to change his shirt and tend to Joey. Jane leaves for home. 

OBJECT EXERCISE
Who am I :  I am Jane. I don’t like it when people hang up on me abruptly. I am an independent woman who can pay for her own bills. I’m not a very reasonable wife and my husband and I frequently fight. I have my own fair share of friends and would prefer not to give my whole life up just because I am now a mother. I am 26 years old and I am a fashionista . I work in a fashion magazine. I am the kind of person who believes that I have my whole life ahead of me and nothing should slow me down.
Where am I : I am out with my girlfriends in a pub. It’s my favorite hangout place to go with my friends. We have a great time just drinking and chatting. I go to the toilet to check my makeup and later on, to call my husband. The toilet is fairly clean with good lighting. It’s also away from all the noise outside, so, it’s a good place for a phone call.
What time is it : It is about 10 pm and I plan to be back by 12 midnight. Thanks to my husband, I have to be back by 10.30pm to tend to my baby. Time, for me, flies fast because I’m having fun. Hence why, I don’t look forward to going back home. Also, after 9 months of pregnancy and staying at home, this is the time I go out and have some real fun but my husband puts a stop to that.
What surrounds me : I am in the toilet so in front of me is a mirror and a sink where I can put my purse on. I am surrounded by no one else but the little toilet cubicles around me. I pay very little attention to anything else other than that of the sink, mirror, bag, makeup and my cellphone. At the start, I am surrounded by my good feelings and confidence but then later, I am surrounded by frustration and anxiety, courtesy of my husband’s inability to take good care of my baby boy.
What are my relationships : The relationship I share with my husband is a fairly good one. We do support each other and we do understand each other but it doesn’t mean we don’t butt heads at times. Like all newly-weds, children are a huge issue and my relationship with John may become a little strained. The relationship I share with my baby boy is based on motherly love. I may want to stay out all night and dump the responsibility of taking care of my baby to John but I still love Joey. Hence why, I called to ask about Joey and why I left the pub despite how unwilling I was to do so. I also have a relationship with my phone especially when I’m mad. I seem to scold my phone and violently tap the sink.
What are the given circumstances : I have been pregnant for 9 months and after giving birth, all I want to do is to go out and have some fun with my friends. The circumstances are that I have domestic responsibilities to my husband and my baby that I cannot simply ignore. So, even if I want to stay and have fun, I have to ensure that my child’s needs are met.
What do I want : I obviously want to have fun and hang out with my girlfriends and stay out late. I also want to be able to care for my child but that want is currently downplayed by my need to spend time outside of the house.
What is in my way : My husband who is incapable of taking care of my baby while I’m gone.
What do I do to get what I want : My first want, which is to have fun is not met at all. I actually abandon it for Joey. My secondary want, which is to tend to Joey, is met but with a twist because I fight with my husband, John. 


 ROOM LAYOUT



The stage on the left is for Lih Seng (John) and the stage on the right is for Leanne (Jane). The chair is where John will sit on and the block is where his cellphone will be. The table will pose as the sink and Jane will be standing right behind it and she will be using the fourth wall as a mirror. Jane’s makeup and cellphone will be on the sink (table). 


So, that's how everything is supposed to look like. During the performance, I thought everything turned out quite well... except for the front part when, my phone's media volume was set to "low" and the ringtone couldn't be heard. I had to like... stop to increase the volume. That was quite a bubu but I thought I handled it really well. Mr. Rey's right. Props are enemies. You can depend on them to fuck up one way or another. After the performance and everyone else's performance, we sat down with Mr. Rey for criticism. 

Mr Rey said that my performance with Lih Seng lacked a variance in character because we weren't playing different characters, we were playing ourselves. Lih Seng was still him and I was still me. I had to agree with that because even during rehearsals, I felt that we were playing ourselves. Then... the first few words "Bundle of joy my ass" could not be heard at all cuz Lih Seng was a little too tired. Mr. Rey did say that there was a good energy going on between us. The ending, he said, could have been better. The biggest issue, for me, was that we weren't playing different characters. My honest opinion, I was a little disappointed. I mean... I know... yea yea... sure... learning progress and all but still. I felt a little let down by myself. I mean... some of the things Mr. Rey pointed out, I already saw it coming but I didn't change it. I guess I just shrugged it off. So... I screwed up. I don't think we screwed up midterms that badly but I let myself down because I promised myself that I'd do well... and I didn't do as well as I thought we could. So... I'm not gonna guess grades because I can't and also because I'm scared to know but... I still feel disappointed at me. I seriously hope to God that I did not fuck up my own midterms. 



No comments:

Post a Comment