Sunday 4 March 2012

Finally



FINALLY!!!! 


I am surprised I didn't get into an accident on that Wed morning. I am truly surprised. I was sooo tired, I could barely even get up that morning. Why was I so tired? I'll get into that later in the post. Just know that I was soo damn tired that I almost nodded off as I drove. Luckily, there had been no road rage or whatever. I mean... there was road rage but it happened to other people and not me. I watched it happen to them. When I got to college, safe and sound, I thought to myself... "Damn... there must be some kind of universal protection thing going on here cuz there was so many times where I could have gotten into an accident." Seriously! No joke. Thank God nobody decided to cut into my lane or whatever cuz... I don't think my reaction would have been fast enough to step on the brakes. I was SOOO tired, I could barely keep my eyes open.

So... It's not surprise that the moment I got to class, I flopped on the bench and just died there. Later when Lih Seng came, Celine, him and I practiced together. We went to the back of the screen and just did our lines together and at the same time. I thought it was very good because, it woke me up and it helped me warm up without the weird feeling of doing it alone. So, then... Mr. Rey came in and briefed us about the whole thing. The rules and all... as usual... just to remind us. Then, he gave us 'bout 10 minutes to just... practice. And thus, we did. Celine, Lih Seng and I just retreated to our little corner and rehearsed again. This time, we did it very loudly cuz Mr. Rey said he wanted to hear SOUND. So, sound we gave him. Hahahahaha.


So, before I get to anything else, I'd like to talk about my rehearsal, how I came up with the idea to my act and what not. So... bear with me. : )

REHEARSAL


Well... honestly... I had a really fucked up situation. See... I had this WHOLE other script planned out. I wrote it all by hand, I even drew out the floor plan and all. It was all set and I thought it was pretty good. I had 3 conversations going on. One with my lecturer, my mom and my boyfriend. I rehearsed it for the whole day to make sure it was perfect or... you know... near perfect. After college... at bout 9 at night, I started practicing again. Then, my mom came in. She interrogated me about my college life and all. It was a very uncomfortable conversation but there you go... Asian parents. She told me to read to her my entire phone conversation. After everything, she said she didn't like it. She said it was shallow and immature and very stupid. At first... her comments were really hurtful because I mean... I spent the whole day practicing. She even told me to change it but I went "No way. It's too late. I'd have to think of a whole new script and rehearse. Rehearsing doesn't take just 30 minutes.". She left me to my own devices in the end but did not fail to express one more time before she left that she REALLY didn't like my script. So... defeated and unhappy. I re-read my script. I began to see her point and I thought that she was probably right. So... I did the unthinkable. I CHANGED EVERYTHING.


*Insert epic drama music*


So, I binned the first phone conversation and began hatching the second. My first conversation would be with a guy who stole my ideas for an advertising project. The second call would take place between my fiend, Grace and I. I tried to slot in a third conversation but I was too tired to think of another one. That time... was like... what... 1 in the morning? So... I stopped at the second phone conversation and honestly, it looked more promising than the first. I'm glad I changed it because it made all the difference. So, I was fucking tired and really wanted to sleep but I still had to rehearse. So... I did. I rehearsed the lines over and over again till it was engraved in my head. There were problems during the rehearsal... like forgotten lines and wrong use of words but overall, I handled it well. I mean... there were times when I stopped to Facebook because I was falling asleep but hey... I did it. By the time I was done... it was about 3 am or more... I can't recall, which explains why I was so tired the next morning.


Here's the conversation. It might be a little different that what I actually said during the performance.


I walk into my room and I slam my bag down against a chair.
I pick up my cellphone from my bag and my pen from the table and I start clicking the pen vigorously.
I wait as he answers.
I am about to accuse him for stealing my ideas.

Damon : Hello?
Me : Damon, I need to speak with you.
Damon : Yeah… what’s up?
Me : You stole my ideas for the advertising project!
Damon : What???
Me : You KNOW you stole it!
Damon : I didn’t steal anything!!
Me : I told you about what my group and I was planning to do in the final advertising project and the next thing I know, your group has the exact same ideas!!! That cannot JUST be a coincidence.
Damon : You’re going senile
Me : I am not going senile!!! You know what, now thanks to you, my group and I have to start from scratch. It’s not easy Damon! And how could you just take my idea like that? HAVE YOU NO SOUL?
Damon : …..
Me : Oh… going all silent now, eh? Well FINE! I’m done with you anyway, you thieving son of a bitch!!!

I slam the phone on the table and collapse on the chair.
After a few seconds to myself,
I get another phone call but it’s from Grace.
I do not have any problems with her… but as an aftermath of the fight I had with Damon, my mood is surly.
Still… I am polite and I don’t scream at her.

Me :  Hi Grace.
Grace : Hey, errr… did I catch you at a bad time.
Me : No, I was just on the phone with that douchebag, Damon.
Grace : Oh right… heard you were really pissed.
Me : Yeah… How can I not be? He stole my ideas.  
Grace : Well, you wanna come down and have coffee with me so we can talk about it?
Me : Coffee? Now?
Grace : Well, why not? It’ll help you feel better. Plus, we could talk.  
Me : Yeah, I guess you’re right. I do need to chill out anyway.
Grace : Great!
Me : Yeah, I’ll see you in Starbucks in 10 minutes time.  
Grace : No problem. See you there… bye!
Me : Kay… bye.



So... there you go... that's the conversation.


The story is like this. Damon is a guy who steals my ideas for a very important advertising project and I call him to give him a piece of my mind. Half way through the scolding, he loses the fight and keeps quiet. That's when I give up talking to him and hang up. I collapse on the chair to recollect myself and then Grace calls me. Her voice really soothes me and I almost immediately feel better. She asks me out for coffee and I agree to it. 

When I passed my beat sheet to Mr. Rey, it was without the Object Exercise. Why? Because I was so tired, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I literally said "Oh God, I can't do this. I need sleep." and just... gave up. So, I'm sorry Mr. Rey... but... yeah. Anyway... I'm here to make it up to you! 
Here is my Object Exercise. 

Who am I : I am Leanne. I hate people who cheat and steal ideas, especially MY ideas. I am very easily angered and I have very little tolerance for people who do not speak up. However, I am very close to my best friends and I open up to them much more compared to other people. My friends also provide me with comfort and a shoulder to lean on and they're always there for me. 

Where am I : I am in my room. There is a table with a pen on top. The room is neat and organized. There is nothing on the floor which means, a lot more walking room where I can pace up and down. 

What time is it : It is 3 o'clock after college. I am tired but I'm also frustrated. This is the time I usually sleep but I'm using it to talk to Damon. By the time I get off the phone, it's probably 3.30pm which is when Grace asks me to go out for coffee and chit chat. 

What surrounds me : My room and all of it's contents. I also surround myself with a lot of frustration at first because Damon stole my ideas but then when Grace calls, all that frustration transforms itself into calmness. 

What are my relationships : My relationship with Damon is a hostile one. I despise him for stealing my idea. Consequently, I get mad and yell at him to make sure he gets the message that it is NOT okay to just take somebody else's ideas and call it his own. The relationship between Grace and I is a cordial one. She and I are best friends and she is the only one who can calm me down when I'm angry or upset. Hearing her voice makes me feel better because she's such a joy to be with. My phone and pen are also relationships because, when I'm mad, I treat them badly like I throw my phone onto the table and I click on my pen violently. 

What are the given circumstances : Damon has just stole my ideas for a VERY important advertising project and I am not about to let him get away with it without at least listening to what I have to say. 

What do I want : Obviously... I want to give Damon a piece of my mind but... really... all I want is to feel better again. To douse my flame by letting it all out on Damon but since he doesn't respond the way I want him to, I hang up and wallow in frustration. 


What is in my way : I want to vent my anger and feel better but Damon doesn't apologize or respond in the way I want him to so, I put the phone down. 


What do I do to get what I want : I go out for coffee with Grace. She is the one person where I can vent my anger to and feel better afterwards. So, my wants are met. 


YEAH! 
So, back to class... 
While waiting for my turn, I learned from people's mistakes. Most of the mistakes were to do with not having an apparent enough switch in personality. It's like their personalities didn't change at all. When talking to a lover, the tone of voice was the same as talking to mother. In that sense, I didn't have to worry because my switch is VERY apparent. XDDD The other thing was the non-usage of the 4th wall which I also didn't have to worry because I used it. There were other stuff as well but I can't remember them now. 


When it was finally my turn, I actually started shaking. Because the night before, I practiced while I was half asleep, I didn't know if it was going to be good enough but I said to myself "fuck this shit... I'm gonna do it anyway." And I did. The entrance was sorta okay... then... came this very embarrassing part where I had to redo the whole thing because I had mumbled something inaudible. It was the part where I said "No, I just got off the phone with Damon." Stupid me. I had to redo the whole goddamn thing but somehow... I didn't quite mind because... from the looks of everything, I thought it was going quite well. So, I did it the second time with minor slips of the tongue because I was thrown off balance a bit. Then... the part where I mumbled before, I made sure I enunciated everything properly and slowly. After the ending was done, I sat down and readied myself for the verdict. 


Honestly, I thought I did quite well, I mean... considering the fact that the rehearsal was a last minute thing because I decided the first idea wasn't good enough. I thought I did very well. Mr. Rey thought it was quite good too. 


Excuse me but I have to do this. 

HE SAID IT WAS QUITE GOOD!!!! OMG!!!! FINALLY!!!! SOMEBODY PINCH ME!!! I MUST BE DREAMING OR SOMEFUCK!!!! THIS IS AMAAZZZIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGG!!!!!!! 

Kay... I said it. 


So... obviously, it wasn't perfect. Next time, I shall remember to ground myself somewhere and enforce my points by hitting against the table or something cuz... when I walk around like that, I'm not grounded and I make it hard for people to focus on me which is a bad thing. The other thing is that I should have not come in  AND then call. I should have just came in, in the middle of the call or starting to call. That would have been a stronger entrance. I shall keep that in mind. The other thing is, to enunciate. I shall never make that mistake again. However, he did say that he liked that there was a clear switch. He liked that I took my time to get the second call and not do it immediately. He also said that it was good that I used the fourth wall. Mr Rey also said that I had most of the basics down so... it was quite good. 


IM SO GODDAMN HAPPY!!!! 


So, I know that this is not the best thing that could ever happen but... I do know that I'm proud that I was able to at least do it right this time and not get another flunk. 


So, yes, I am very very happy and I can only hope to do better in the midterms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment