Sunday 5 February 2012

Back to theater

                        
Friday was the first day of THTR 102 class and I was thrilled. Sure, it was too damn early in the morning and yes, I was still half asleep but the moment I got to class, I was wide awake. I know this isn't related but... While I was driving, I wondered why it was still so dark out when it was already 7.15am. Usually, the sun would have already been out and threatening to blind me. Anyway... I met Celine downstairs! YAAAAYYYYY!!!!! We're in the same class!!!!! I'm so happy, I could die! Josh is in my class too. So is Lih Seng, David, Weilim.... ummm... Teck Sern, Eric and Zong Yong. I also met new people like Valerie, Adam, Vinasha and err..... yeah.... that's all I remember. I think Adam is cute............. just saying................ 

                         Mr. Rey came in after awhile and started talking about ethics, dos and don'ts and what he was going to do with us this semester. We listened like the good little Asian students that we were. And it's strange how reverse psychology works cuz Mr. Rey was talking about confidence and I immediately got nervous. -____________- Valerie got named the stage manager just for asking a question. Hahahah! After a little more talking and explaining to us about how important a journal was and how dead we would be if we were late or absent... we got down to business. Like... finally! 

                          Anyone who's been Mr. Rey's kids knew how he started. We walked around the room and around the space. I re-felt the room like I felt it the last time I took theater class. I got myself used to the lighting, the people around me and the atmosphere. I focused on my body and loosened up the parts where I felt most tense... like the shoulders and my back. I blocked out all unwanted thoughts from my head and for the moment... just focus on theater. After that, Mr. Rey got us to run crazy, at different directions and stopping at any time. This was a little dangerous. Some of us bumped into each other and almost knocked other people down. Then, Mr. Rey said to keep doing what we were doing cept, we must not bump into each other. Kinda hard since you don't know who's headed where and when they're gonna stop dead in their tracks. I noticed that after awhile, it became a sort of rhythm. Whoever stopped, other people would stop too and whenever someone ran, other people followed. So, it became quite rhythmic and safer cuz the possibility of us slamming into each other was lessened. 
 
                        After the running and stopping, we played "pass the ball", theater style!! I played the exact same game during THTR 101. You gotta pass the ball to someone else in the circle while saying "yes 1". It would have to go up to "yes 30" and if we do so much as drop the ball or let it slip, we'd have to start with "yes 1" all over again. GODDAMN!!! Obviously, we dropped the ball a couple of times and we had to start all over again. Some of us were actually pushing the ball away. Some didn't have enough eye contact and the receiver didn't get the message. Others just missed I guess or wasn't focused. Later from saying "yes 1", we had to say "yes, 1 Boop boop de doop" and then to "yes 1 I LOVE U"... we had to sing the words "I love you" too! There was this once, Adam threw the ball to me and I missed cuz he passed it way too high! I went "NOOOOOOO!" in my head. After we reached 30, we sat down and talked about it. The point of the game is not just to pass the ball but really to be able to focus on doing something. To make and maintain eye-contact and to be able to multi-task (some of us were distracted by singing "I love you" that they forgot the number they were supposed to say). Mainly, it was about focusing and maintaining eye-contact with the other person. Just because you want to throw the ball to the guy in front of you doesn't mean you just do it. You gotta give him time for him to grasp what you're trying to do... and then you throw it to him. I don't know if I threw a ball that someone didn't catch but I don't think so...... I hope not. Hahahahahah. Anyway.... I get the game and I get why Mr. Rey made us do it. It was actually quite fun too soooo... Yay! 

                         Later, Mr. Rey gave us an assignment. It's a solo act for a few minutes. It can't be too complicated. It can't have some imaginary father or hamster and it cannot be like the RTM dramas with all the incessant crying and what shit. There has to also be an opening and ending of the act... you can't just walk in and out of the space just cause you're done. There has to be a reason why you walked outta there. There's also gotta be an obstacle. I went... "Holy Shit... first week and there's already an assignment". But... this is a cool assignment so... It's okay. Hahahhahaha. I'm thinking of doing something real simple and easy. I don't want it to be too complicated... lest I forget what I'm supposed to do. Anyway... that's that... now if you'll excuse me... I need to rehearse my solo act.   : )) 
                          


No comments:

Post a Comment