Monday 30 April 2012

8 efforts

So.... I know I haven't been updating my journal for a VERY long time. Sorry... but I've been sidetracked by a lot of... stuff... to do with a special "someone", my other subjects and events. So... I've been a very busy girl but I'm here to make it up. This means I have to go back and try to remember what the hell we've done in class. It's not going to be easy because it's been so long ago... but I will try nonetheless. Just don't kill me if I've missed something out. 

So... I'll start with the day we did our "8 Efforts" thing. The 8 efforts are actually Press, Thrust, Wring, Slash, Float, Glide, Flick and Dab. Different efforts calls for different characteristics. For example, the Press effort is heavy, direct and slow. At first we were asked to walk like that. Heavy, direct and slow. I did as I was told. After a while, I think I looked like I was stomping the ground but you know... who cares right? Then... slowly... we took on a character. I thought of something that I forgot. Seriously... I have no idea what character I became but I made sure it fit the characteristics of the Press effort. It was pretty cute and funny cuz we had to sit like the character, answer a phone like the character and just downright imitate the character. Then... we had to karaoke like the character. Obviously, I have no idea what I sang but... I know it's got some reference to the character. Sooo... yeah. 


Same thing went for Thrust, Wring, Slash, Float, Glide, Flick and Dab character. We immersed ourselves into the characteristics and became characters that were close to them.  If I'm not mistaken... for the Flick character, I played a little, 6 year old girl, dancing and prancing around aimlessly. For my song, I think I chose "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. XDDD I don't know why. It just came to me.

So... I know I've not written much cuz well... we basically did the same things. We took the different efforts like suits and wore them. Even gave them names and acted like them... and became them. I think I can honestly say that I've learnt a lot from this exercise. So, now whenever I have a problem trying to get into character, I just have to think. Is my character a dab? Or a press? Or a thrust? You know? Things like that. And that... I can't just jump into the character, I need to warm into it. Walk like it, sit like it, speak like it and then... like flowing water, I'll get into character. 



I can safely say that... NOW... I know what to do and how to do it. : )) Thank you, sir. 


My god... this is probably my shortest post yet. Hmmmmm.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment